Saturday, April 2, 2011

"Taco Cart"-4th & NW Davis


She:
Well this is the first cart on the West side that we've been to. Our Mexicana friend had suggested this place, but there are stipulations. They are only open Wednesday-Saturday late night. This nameless truck sits in the heart of China town off of 4th and Davis. Not much of an atmosphere, but the truck does have a lovely neon "OPEN" sign gleaming in your face when you try to pick out a drink. Bonus, they do have mexican coke. It's a walk up and order through window establishment that takes card with an additional $0.75 fee. I ordered 3 chicken tacos and squeezed some green sauce out from a bottle sitting on the truck. The tacos came with lemons instead of lime, which was a disappointment. As we looked  around, there wasn't much for seating. Curbside seems to be most seating, but we chose to cross the street and sit on a statue like thing. I picked up the first taco and it dripped all around on the cardboard bowl thing and my lap. The brazilian had chicken taco as well and the puddle on the ground showed just how messy these greasers are. When I reached my last taco it fell apart at the seams and fell into my lap. I'll give them a break because the tortillas are hand made. Though it seems they would be good after a lovely night of drinking, the surroundings are sketchy and it may just not be worth a possible mugging. Taco cart, you should probably get yourself a name so I can mock it. 

This place gets a 3 out of 5 stars. 

But this just in--it's been reported from one of our taco joiners that Los Gorditos had bugs in the cilantro when we had eaten there. They did not want to alarm anyone but they had found 2 bugs on their tacos and withheld this information. Since this new information I am pulling Los Gorditos from the #1 position and there is now no holder of the #1 title. 


He:
Downtown Portland at night. A completely different animal. Darkness brings out every sort of Tom, Dick, and HOMELESS MOTHERFUCKER axin' me questions regarding spare change or cigarettes on a repetitive basis! Look, folks, I feel for our nation's homeless, I really do, but these people have got to become better organized. Face recognition is one of the basic tenants of brain function. Use it, por favor! Now..."Taco Cart"...
Our Ethnic ladyfriend and the Brazillionaire accompanied us on this adventure as my lovely senorita and I continue on our quest for for taco delicioso. I'm a fan of Brand X scenarios, generic product, faceless campaign, etc., but tacos are a thing that need a name! They're about to get one. Handmade tortillas are a definite plus. Our Ethnic ladyfriend tempted me with this feature. Unfortunately, I had the same dastardly occurrence as my alluring partner. Tortilla fucking fallout! Shrapnel of pollo, cilantro, onion, and tortilla went everywhere! Having said that, the shredded pollo was moist n' flavorful & the cilantro tasted and looked fresh. I'm struggling with the lemon effect that I have witnessed at some of the places we've patronized. Mayhaps it is an unseen food trend or a lime shortage, but I can't quite get on board with this citrus blasphemy. LIIIIIIIIIMES, please!!! The asada had some good points too. Yes, I went for the Old Usual. Much to my chagrin, the pineapple Jarritos was absent from the iceless cooler under the serving counter so I opted for Mexi-Coke....and I called it so when I ordered it. Offensive, my dear readers? Meh. 

2.79 Shit Stars out of a possible 5 Shit Stars...great cilantro + homemade tortilla - tacsplosion-lack of bev/anonymous facade...


If anyone has a suggestion for us....LET US FUCKING KNOW! Until next time, taco nerds...Also-BUGS?! GROOOOOOOOOSS!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment